Monday, May 28, 2007

The Bachelor

Rochelle managed to make it to Uganda on Saturday. She was away much of last week as well, so I'm feeling a bit like a bachelor these days. It's winter here right now, and quite cold. I woke up the other night shivering and shaking and had to pull on some extra blankets to keep warm. The bed is so much warmer when Rochelle is around. I think that may be why Zimbabweans are so accustomed to sleeping close to each other, as they rely on each other to keep warm.

A few months ago I went to a farmers workshop in a rural area of Zimbabwe. I stayed the night in a small room that had the smallest bed I have ever seen. I think it may have been a bed designed for a small child. A very tiny child. As it turned out, I had to share the bed with a coworker. Thankfully he is the smallest person I work with, but the bed was barely wider than my shoulders so it made for an interesting night. The bed was also slanted, so I had to keep myself propped up on my left shoulder so that I wouldn't roll on top of him.

A month later, I attended a training workship in that same rural area with Rochelle. We were given the same bed I had shared with my friend previously. When evening came, Rochelle said that she wasn't sure how we would be able to sleep together as the bed was too small for two people. "Trust me," I said. "I'm pretty sure we will manage."

So while Rochelle is away, I have piled on the blankets (currently three as I am allergic to the fourth) and will continue wearing a sweater to bed. I keep losing weight (down to 147) so there's not much natural insulation these days. I have been eating an excessive amount of food the last few weeks to try to get my weight back up. I may need to see a doctor if I keep on losing weight. I'm a bit dizzy these days as well. Well, at least more dizzy than usual, as my father would probably respond.

No comments: