Monday, May 21, 2007

Back to Murehwa

I spent the weekend in Murehwa. I went with a couple from work. On Saturday they led officers' meetings and I went to do a training for local officers. It was a training on team-building. I came armed with printed notes and flipcharts. As it turns out, only 4 ladies came to the training, and we met under a tree. But they were so excited, and we managed despite a language barrier. Teaching these ladies was one of those "woah, I'm in Africa" moments. At the end they kept smiling and saying how happy they were that I had come. Sometimes I struggle with meaning in my work, but this felt meaningful. We spent the afternoon sitting outside, chomping on sugar cane, discussing crops and electricity and water shortages. Again, it was one of those "I'm in Africa moments."

Sunday we visited two Salvation Army churches. The first was called Chipikiri and it was in the middle of nowhere. I loved it. The church had gathered under an almost-finished thatched roof with no walls. The Salvation Army flag was flying atop of a sugar cane! Women all sat on the ground on their mutagitas (sp?) and men found bricks/stones to sit on. Someone brought chairs for us - the special guests. Our next service was in another part of Murehwa called Choruwa. Everyone sat under a tree and got up to sing and dance and praise. I was quite moved. I was blessed to see old gogos (grandmothers) sitting under a tree, singing the songs. I was blessed to see men and women kneeling in the dirt to pray. I was blessed to see so many children listening attentively to the sermon.

At both corps, I gave a testimony (on how I see miracles every day in Zimbabwe - every time there is food on the table or a child goes to school, etc.) and did half in Shona. I also led a Shona chorus and danced, and people went crazy with joy. After church, all of the kids were daring each other to shake my hand. And all the ladies were coming up to me and saying they were either my aunt or mother-in-law or grandmother. At Choruwa they presented us with gifts. I was given a bag full of sweet potatoes, avacadoes and ground nuts and $100,000.00. I was touched. The people I was with got a live chicken. It peed on my shoe, but I was just grateful that it wasn't on my skirt. Everywhere we went, people spent time cooking for us, and it was just such a blessing. My only regret is that I didn't bring the camera. Sorry...

No comments: