Monday, June 04, 2007

Crocodile Burgers

Uganda was awesome, and I have a lot to talk about, so it will be another post. For now, let me tell you about crocodile burgers. They are delicious (sincerely) - yum. Saturday we were at a reptile park in Lusaka, Zambia, and we got to visit the crocodiles and then eat them. I also got to hold a big snake and jump on a trampoline. Trust me, you don't really appreciate freedom until it is snatched from you.

On my flight into Lusaka I sat next to a very interesting man. He turned out to be the leader of one of the opposition parties in Zambia. He was giving me the inside scoop on some Zambian politics and business (he's also a businessman), and his views on corruption and leadership. Then he started talking about his family - his wife dying, his problems with one of his children, etc. and I felt like we were in a bit of a counselling session. He was very open, and a small part of me wondered whether he might be making it all up. Then we arrived at the airport, and he was officially greeted and started being referred to as "honourable." He had offered me a lift, so told me to stick close. We bypassed immigration authorities and went straight to the VIP lounge. He told me to give my passport to his parliamentarian assistant - "we have people to take care of these things for us." I was mortified that my bag was the last out of the plane, because it meant that these important people had to wait around! Then, this man's girlfriend turned up and wanted to drive him home, so he told the assistant and driver that they were to take me wherever I needed to go. I'm sure they were thrilled. I tried to joke around that I was their newest politician and the response was, "well you must be very senior!" I assured them that I am!

John took the bus from Harare to Lusaka and we met up there. We also met up with our friends Heather, Dave and Judith. This was my third continent to see Judith on. We met in Toronto on our MissionPrep training. The first day she was like, "did you come to Germany with a gospel choir? I remember you!" She had attended one of our concerts, and remembered my shiny white face! She now works as a midwife in a rural clinic in Zambia. It was great to see her. Dave was one of our teachers as MissionPrep. He is a humble, godly man, and was able to listen to us for hours. Heather is from our home corps, and brought a whole pile of letters that kids in Regent Park had written to us. My favourite was a child that wrote: "We miss you. When you come home, please bring a lion and a tribe!"

I feel like I lead an extraordinary life.

2 comments:

KiR said...

Were you on that trampoline with the huge snake?
:)

Heather Princess said...

Rochelle...That was my favorite letter too! I was collecting them all up at camp and loved that one!