Wednesday, May 02, 2007

HIFA

Yesterday was Workers' Day, so we celebrated by not going to work! We actually spent the day at the Harare International Festival of the Arts (HIFA), and it was a GREAT day! In the morning we went to a play called "Invisible Prison" and then in the afternoon we had Mongolian food while listening to Zimbabwean jazz. It felt just like the Harbourfront in Toronto (minus the water) - which is my favourite Toronto summer spot (and something I miss....) Then we walked around the craft market and listened to Shanik (a singer from Swaziland).

In the late afternoon I actually had my own concert for a church youth choir I joined. The concert wasn't very well organized. John was one of 4 people in the audience. He tried doing the wave, but it wasn't too successful as a solitary exercise.

Then in the evening we had some Indian food and went to the HIFA opening show. I was truly impressed by the way everything went smoothly, by the quality of the performers (you should have heard this trio of 3 songs "Redemption Songs" "Tomorrow" and "There's going to be a revolution" - amazing!) I was impressed by the sound and lights, and mostly by the way people were so free and happy. There were even fireworks, and they were beautiful. It was one of the first days since moving here that I sort of felt like we lived in a "normal" place where we didn't have to apologize for anything. There was electricity and joy and quality - a world class performance!

No comments: