Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Manicaland

I'm injured. The side of my mouth is all cut up from ripping at sugarcane, and my thumb has a big blood blister from shelling groundnuts. Don't worry - I think I'm going to make it! I'm just so city... :)

I just got back from Manicaland province in the east. We stayed in Mutare for 2 days, and I love the east of Zimbabwe - it's so mountainous and beautiful. Yesterday I led another team-building training under a tree. This time 30 people came, and we had a great discussion. They also really liked the activities. We did this one activity on communication where one person pretends to be catching a chicken, and isn't allowed to talk. Another volunteer joins the group and is told to just help and not ask questions. So, they start running around - totally confused. Then another volunteer to do the same, etc. It's hilarious, and everyone was cracking up. I've really enjoyed geting out of the office and doing some training. I'm not a desk girl - I love being out with the people - it has more meaning for me.

Zimbabwe's not really a hugging culture. There are greetings galore, and lots of clapping and handshakes, but hugs are rare. And sometimes you need a good hug. We stayed with the Nhelenheles - who are friends of ours and officers from Mozambique. And Amai Nhelenhele envelopped me in a huge hug when we got there. It was almost like hugging my mom, and made me so happy. I shared a room with their 8 year old daughter - Neidy. Neidy has been learning a lot of English, so we had a great chat in the morning when we woke up - before she went to school. We talked all about our friends and brothers and sisters, and what we like to eat. It was SO sweet, and totally made me feel like I was having a sleepover. It's nice to stay somewhere where you feel like family.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know the Nhelenheles. I met them last summer in Mozambique. and Their daughter Henania and I became friends when she was here in the United States.