Thursday, September 22, 2005

Young and old

Last Saturday I baby-sat my friend's 1.5 year old daughter. I made a mess of the feeding and changing, but we had a lot of fun. As we were playing with all of her toys, I was wondering how her little life would have been different if, like her mom, she had been born in west Africa rather than Canada. Every once in a while, she would come up to me, look me in the face, smile, put her hands on my head and in my hair and then start speaking her own personal language. Talk about prophesying in tongues...
 
It reminded me of this one day I was at a water fountain and this tiny, crinkled, almost toothless Chinese woman kept smiling at me and talking away to me in Mandarin and raising her hands to me.
 
They say that people who are touched by the Pope have an "experience" - I wonder if it's like what I felt when this little girl placed her hands on my head, or when this old woman smiled at me and blessed me....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Ottawa!!! I thought I'd check out your site and I was so blessed when I did...

There's a reason that Jesus loved children so much, Rochelle. There's so much earnestness, innocence and just pure joy!

I'll keep checking in to see how things are going!
XO
Christina