Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Customer appreciation

Yesterday we were in Kitchener for James' birthday. I love James (my brother-in-law) - he brings out this kind of silly/zany side of me - which my own brothers do as well. We had yummy Indian food.

Anyway, before we got to dinner, we stopped in at Zellers. My mom-in-law and I got to the counter and the Zellers lady had this huge "Customer Appreciation Week" button on. I, of course, started to talk to her (a trait inherited from Grandpa and then Dad). I smiled and said something like, "Wow! Customer Appreciation week! Is that this week? Are we appreciated?" She grimaced, looked down and said, "I haven't even read it - they just told us we had to wear them." Then she quickly got us through the line. We sure felt appreciated!

It's irresistable to add a moral to this story, so here goes! Let's appreciate people! I've been doing an informal study for years on saying "how are you?" to people behind counters. It almost always throws them off (because that's THEIR line). An upside down sort of kingdom...

No comments: