Wednesday, September 28, 2005

You never know what you're going to get



Monday night I went to go see Joel in the opera Carmen. He had a fairly small role, but he played it with passion. :) An old friend of mine had one of the main roles. I used to sit next to her in choir (T.M.Y.C.) and now she's this opera star. Amazing!

John, Johnny and I spent the weekend in Ottawa. We had an awesome time with Heather & Jason, and Johnny loved it - it was the farthest he's been away from Toronto, and he was just so happy the whole time.

Part of the reason we went to Ottawa was for me to attend my grade 8 reunion. I was in a "special" class from grades 5-8, and there weren't many of us, so we got close. It was fascinating to see all of these people who looked exactly the same as grade 8; just a lot bigger. I asked the guy next to me what he's up to now. He designs and builds weapons to go on tanks headed for the U.S.A. He used to have a job "monitoring" foreigners in our country. WHAT?!??! He asked me what I've been doing, and I explained about working with newcomers to Canada, then doing social work and now preparing to move to Africa. His response was, "well, don't I feel like a piece of s---!" I thought it would be rude to say, "well, you sort of are."

It's amazing how we can all turn out so differently. You never know what you're going to get.

No comments: