Friday, September 30, 2005

Ah, public transit

I've often said that public transportation is one of the cheapest forms of entertainment.
 
Yesterday I was taking the subway to the doctors'. This older lady got on the subway, and she was taking her seat as the train started to move. She stumbled a bit and then basically fell into this guy's lap. I sat next to her on the other side, and she was looking a bit flustered. She looked at me, and I said, "don't worry - I think it's ok to flirt on the subway." She LAUGHED and smiled - it was so cute!
 
Then coming home, I was on a crowded subway car, and this teenager started singing, at the top of his lungs, "Old MacDonald" and all these other tunes. It was obvious that his voice was changing, and he kept singing right on the crack of his voice. Everyone on the car was smiling and giggling - what community!
 
P.S. Props to Kim - who has let me shower at her place every morning this week. Hot water - you've got to love it!  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, Rochelle. You are such a gem! You have such a great way of putting people at ease even in the most uncomfortable situations. God has really blessed you with gifts of *among tons of others* graciousness and kindness and you glorify Him every time you use those gifts. Thanks for being you!!!!
Love, Christina

Leslie said...

that is good, I love it, and I love public transit.

Riding the subway in New York was always interesting, instead of panhandling and begging for money on the streets, we would see people 'earn' their money by singing a solo and preaching a little bit, then passing around their hat. How could anyone refuse? What a clever way to get an audience.