Thursday, August 30, 2007

Power - yay!

Last night our electricity came on at 9:30pm. All around the compound we heard a big "YAY!!!!!!" (very similar to the "yay" you hear from kids when Santa Claus appears at the Christmas party). John and I were in bed, and we'd just said our prayers (including a prayer for ZESA!) I was so happy! I put on some laundry, and started boiling some water right away (I have a full litre to drink today!) And this morning we had a nice, long, clean bath. Mmmmmm. It took me a long time to fall asleep because I was so excited. I know I shouldn't worry about things that I have no control over (like electricity), but I don't try to hide the fact that I'm "city", and I enjoy some of life's comforts - like being clean or cooking on a stove or using a washing machine. I'm spoiled. I'm also pretty ghetto. Imagine - being so thrilled that I couldn't even sleep! Or having this huge grin on my face seeing hot water coming from the tap this morning. I've also started killing cockroaches with my fingers (because if you wait for a piece of toilet paper, they get away). That's ghetto (or pro-active, depending on how you look at it). Anyway, the power went off again this morning at 6:30am, but nothing could spoil our joy - of having a bath and putting on clean clothes. John thinks it's sort of like being in prison when you get over-excited and over-grateful about the small "privileges" they give you...

No comments: