Friday, August 10, 2007

Lord, hear our prayer

Every morning to start the work day we have prayers at our office. It usually involves one person standing at the front, reading something from the Bible or the "Words of Life" and some singing and praying for a certain topic. And then we have announcements (such as "don't steal from The Salvation Army or else you will be cursed with poverty for the rest of your life." An employee was fired this week for stealing and selling a trombone. Then, one of the top leaders had his teaspoon stolen this week, and he was threatening to fire the thief if s/he was caught! Trust me, I checked my drawers, just to be sure!)

Anyway, this morning's prayer subject was law and order, and the sekuru (grandfather) sitting beside me was asked to pray. I was really blessed and challenged by the passion with which he prayed for Zimbabwe - for good leadership and honesty and an end to corruption and hope and change. Most people in this country are afraid to speak of change or even to dream of change. There are serious consequences for even mentioning the word "change" in a public place. You learn to accept everything, and you learn to avoid talking about anything mildly political with anyone - even friends - because you don't know who might be lurking or listening. But this old man prayed for change. And he prayed long and loud, and at one point said, "God, it would be wrong for us to keep on meeting every day and praying to you if you were not going to answer. We are waiting." Yes, we are waiting. I find myself often thinking of that serenity prayer... Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. I pray that today for Zimbabweans, and I am thankful for those of you who read this blog and join your prayers with ours - thank you.

No comments: