Friday, August 24, 2007

Never, ever heat up your food twice

I'm not a huge fan of leftovers, but obviously since moving to a country with severe food shortages, I've become more of a fan. A few weeks ago John made a West African peanut butter stew. It was delicious, and he re-heated it (from the freezer) Monday for our meal. But there was a bit left, so Wednesday night I suggested that we finish it. John thought it would be unhealthy to re-heat it twice, but I was stubborn. So I put it on the frying pan and ate it all myself. The next 24 hours were PAINFUL! I did not realize that so much waste could come out of one person's body (and from various orifices!) Truly disgusting. When he came home from work, I convinced John that the whole "I told you so" approach was not helping, and then he was a bit more supportive (and even watched "The Notebook" with me last night - I cry every time!) I totally take my health for granted, but as I was clinging to the toilet bowl yesterday, I was crying out to God for my life (I tend to be a bit dramatic when I'm sick) and gave him much thanks for my (normally good) health. Today I'm fine - praise God!

Two of my family members have died in the last month - Uncle Ernest and Auntie Ethel. They were my great aunt and great uncle, and they were quite a pair. I remember our last visit to them - before we moved to Zim. Uncle Ernest was trying to talk to us (in French) about books and philosophy and religion while Auntie Ethel just kept flirting with John and trying to get me to stop talking in French and to start singing her some of her favourite hymns. They were both old and I am happy that they are now at peace and in good health, but they will also be missed.

No comments: