Friday, August 17, 2007

I miss baseball

When you live far from home, there are some fairly standard things that you miss. My big ones are the 4 Fs – family, friends, food and freedom. (Having said that, I am grateful for the family and friends I have here, and for the wonderful food my husband cooks – his vegetarian extravaganza last night was delightful!) I miss going for walks with my parents or good friends, and reading entire books in Chapters (you’re allowed – they don’t kick you out – this is how I read the Kite Runner!) I miss singing in the 614 worship team, and in UTGC concerts (and going to Jun Juns of course!) I miss seeing my grand-parents do a dance in their doorway before we leave their condo, and listening to Johnny’s clean jokes. The other day I had this irresistible urge to go to a baseball game. I’m not even a sports fanatic, but I just really wanted to meet up with my brothers and some friends and just go to the Skydome. I had it all planned out in my mind – we’d go for lunch at the Spaghetti Factory, and then go to the game, and then head to the Harbourfront to have an ice cream and listen to the Toronto Symphony Orchestra under the stars. It was a nice day-dream. But hey, in Toronto you don't get to see giraffes on your morning run...

No comments: