Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Nana

One of my many blessings from God has been to have incredible grandparents. Today is my Nana's birthday - 84 years strong. I love my Nana (my mom's mom) a lot, and I am thankful for the many, many things she has taught me over the years - from how to play Scrabble and croquet and Rook to how to be a good person. I admire her in many ways, and I am thankful to have her strong influence in my life. I know that my Nana's daily prayers for me have had a huge impact on me being the person that I am. Here are a few lessons my Nana has taught me:

1. Be kind. We all have a choice to judge others, to speak mean or harsh words to them and to secretly wish misfortune on them. Or else we can be kind - in attitude, in word and in action. We can choose to love people, and to show them gentle kindness. This is my Nana's way, and I want it to be my way too.

2. Be generous. Ever since I can remember, I have received a monthly letter from my Nana. She writes all about the weather, and the family happenings, and tidbits of advice. She always shows an interest in what I'm doing, and she always includes a treat (i.e. a cheque or bar of chocolate). My Nana is famous in family folklore for spoiling us, and always being generous in her time and her treats.

3. Trust God. No matter what. No matter how dismal things may seem, or no matter how much you can't understand what God's plan is. Just trust that God is faithful.

Happy Birthday, Nana! We love you, and we miss you! Thanks for everything... xo

No comments: