Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Sleep Running

On our morning run, Rochelle fell into a ditch and ended up flat on her face. Thankfully, she wasn't seriously hurt, which is a miracle considering the amount of broken glass along the ground and the depth of the hole. She's got a few bruises, but no broken bones or ligaments or even skin abrasions. She was quite angry for a few seconds, and then upset for a few more. She walked it off and then started running again. She's getting tougher!

It was very dark outside as the electricity was out, which meant no streetlights or lit houses. And the moon seemed to be hidden as well. I was sleep running, so woke up with a start when Rochelle fell on her face. That woke me up pretty quickly. We will be glad when winter is over so that we have more light in the mornings. Of course, electricity to operate street lights, traffic lights (they call them robots here) and houses would be nice as well. It gets more challenging when we are temporarily blinded by approaching vehicles and forced to stumble along blindly for a few moments.

I've just come up with a plan to escape my office for two weeks. I'm thinking about running from the northern border of Zimbabwe (I'd start at Chirundu at the Zimbabwe-Zambian border) to the southern border (I'd finish at Beitbridge at the Zimbabwe-South African border) over the course of two weeks (I think I would need to run about 60 K a day, which would be fairly easy considering that would be my only real task for the day and I could take an easy pace). I could stay with Salvationists each night of the trip and participate in some prayer meetings or other local Army events. I'm hoping that I would be able to raise money to support our hospitals and social institutions, as they are struggling to continue operating due to the economic hardships in Zimbabwe. Do you think a run across Zimbabwe to raise money and awareness would be a good idea? Let me know.

No comments: