Thursday, July 19, 2007

And the beat goes on...

Things just keep getting more and more interesting in Zimbabwe! Yesterday we got a copy of a new Statuatory Instrument on Control of Goods (Import and Export) issued by the President's office. As of August 1, 2007 no food will be allowed in or out of the country. That means that individuals (like us!) can't bring food over the border, but neither can companies. And since local production is coming to a standstill because of price controls.... I keep wondering "what's the plan?" and no one seems to know. When no food is being produced and no food is being imported, how do people survive? There must be SOME sort of plan, right??

The headlines today were that within 2 weeks no fuel coupons will be accepted at service stations. Right now there are HUGE fuel queues. When petrol/fuel is available, people spend hours in their car hoping to get some - using coupons. But in 2 weeks' time... I guess people will always find a way, and there will still be a blackmarket, but I cannot imagine the prices! Good thing we don't have a car, and that we enjoy walking!

I do have good news though. Last night our electricity came on at 5:30pm and was STILL ON this morning when we left for work. I can't tell you how excited I was to be able to have TOAST while listening to music for breakfast!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I still send KD??????? A. Cathie

Anonymous said...

Rochelle - I follow your blog almost every day. We hear bits and pieces in the news, but you are a wonderful writer and you put a human dimension on the story. I pray daily for your safety and sustenance as you minister in this situation. - Kerry Brown