Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Books

I’d like to recommend some excellent books that I read recently:

* The Inheritance of Loss (Kiran Desai) – winner of the 2006 Man Booker Prize – an AWESOME book. It’s all about what it means to fit in, to be in a new culture, and it examines what home looks like, and what love looks like. It’s so well written, and real and honest.

* The Moonlit Cage (Linda Holeman) – my mom sent me this book. It’s a Canadian authour, but it’s set in Afghanistan/Pakistan in the 1800s. This book made me think a lot about the difference between being happy, having joy and being content. It made me realize that even though I always seek to have joy, it’s difficult for me to be content – because I’m always seeking out new adventures and new thoughts and new ways. It also made me think about my identity as a woman.

*Beginning to Pray (Anthony Bloom) – this is an easy read, but wow – it has some really good and profound ideas – some of which I was initially angry about, but then realized are true - like, the fact that God can absent himself from us (a reminder that there is no way we can control God – God is God!)

*Status Anxiety (Alain de Boton) – he’s a philosopher, but his writing is very readable. This book talks about the history of envy, jealousy, relations between the rich and poor, etc. I read this in Mozambique, and John made fun of me for taking notes on vacation, but I couldn’t help it – there were too many good ideas.

1 comment:

Agent of Renewal said...

Meditating on Psalm 46 this a.m.
Couldn't help but filter it through Zimbabwe. The God of heaven is present on earth, the one who was in the beginning is now. Look at how the mighty are brought down. God speaks and earth's powers melt away. We will not fear though the earth gives way, God is our strength.

We lift Zimbabwe to God.

love,dad