Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Prayer

Prayer means a lot to me, as it is my communication with God. John took me out to lunch, and before I started eating my wrap, I said a usual grace "Thank you God for this food." But it really meant something today. I was really thankful - and it really did feel like grace. There's no bread or meat in the shops, and yet I ate a chicken wrap with bacon in it. A miracle. Grace.

Speaking of prayer, there is a big prayer controversy in The Salvation Army here. See, a lot of Zimbabwean Salvationists like mass prayer (when everyone prays at the same time - often very loudly!) This was deemed to be "not The Salvation Army way" and so a prayer team is being sent all over the country to stop this type of praying. There was even some talk about establishing a prayer constitution and asking people to sign up and have joining fees. Thankfully that idea was scrapped. Personally I feel that with no food in the shops (it's so eerie to go into a grocery store and see no food!) there are bigger battles to fight than forms of prayer - but who I am to say?

Prayer is good. It's deep and meaningful and simple and profound. Try it out.

1 comment:

Reverend Joyleaf said...

Matthew 6
Prayer
5"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.