Monday, July 09, 2007

Chewing on Corruption

Yesterday all the kids at our church were very excited. The Samaritan’s Purse boxes came. Are you familiar with these boxes? For years I filled up Samaritan’s Purse boxes with choir and church groups – you get a shoebox and fill it up with little toys and school supplies to send to a child overseas to brighten up their Christmas. Well, it’s July, but I can tell you for sure that they do get here. I was at a friend’s house yesterday, and her sister was telling me about the corruption involved. Supposedly 10 big boxes (full of shoeboxes) came, and whoever picked them up from the postoffice took one – to give to his kids. Then whoever stored the boxes also took two for himself – to give to his kids. Then some had to be given to leaders, etc. Anyway, our church ended up with 3 boxes. There were too many children to give each of them a carefully packed shoebox, and so the Sunday School teachers opened up all of the boxes. They picked a few things for themselves, and then divided the rest of the goods between the kids. My friend’s sister was quite excited about her items – a diary, a photo magnet that said “Brian” and a pack of bubble gum – all the way from Canada. As she was complaining about corruption, and then as I was judging her for obviously being involved in the corruption, she offered me a piece of Bubble-icious. Without thinking, I accepted, and as soon as I started chewing, I realized that I had become implicated – that I was chewing on corruption…

No comments: