Monday, August 28, 2006

Weekend at the Bible Convention

We spent the weekend in Mazowe at the Territorial Bible Convention with fellow Canadian Commissioner Bond (she told us that in training college everyone just called her by her last name - "Bond" - don't you love that?) It was a good weekend. There were over 600 delegates. I got to sing in a trio and crack the high note in front of 600 people!! The singing and dancing was AWESOME! Praise & worship is such good exercise! The weekend also made me realize once again that we know so many good people here. There are so many women who just look out for me, and show me how things work. I am so grateful for our friends, and also just for so many people who show us kindness and grace every day. We ate lots of sadza.

I remembered my bucket this time, and that made bathing a lot easier! I shared one of the "special" bedrooms with a beautiful, gracious woman, and was grateful to have my own twin bed. By the time I got there, it was dark. I went to use the toilet, and there wasn't a light. So, I flushed and it overflowed. Yummy wet pjs to sleep in! Then in the morning, I stepped out of bed, and the whole floor was flooded. There was sewage everywhere! But you adapt and adjust...

On the way home, we dropped some ladies off at their corps, and there was this little kid who just kept staring at me. Eventually he got the courage to extend his hand. I shook it, and then he just kept staring at his own hand. Maybe he was worried that some of my colour had rubbed off on him!

1 comment:

Gordon said...

I had teh office next to 'bond'when I was at IHQ - I 'm sure you had a great time!

The bed story - hmmmm thanks :o)