Sunday, August 06, 2006

Back in Joburg

I'm in Johannesburg, South Africa. This is where I first arrived in Africa back in 1998. It's good to be back, and to catch up with some old friends. I've been reflecting on how much my life has changed since I was last here (in 2000). It seems hard to believe that that much time has passed. I feel like I was just here, and yet so much has happened to me and deepened me since then - including my whole marriage! By the way - we celebrated 4 years of incredible marriage last Thursday - I'm so in love with John! Being married to someone you're crazy about is a beautiful thing.

I've spent an amazing weekend with my friends Stacey & Buhle, and their 3 kids - Trinity (their adorable 6 month old - I think we've actually had some meaningful conversations in baby talk!), Bijou (their 17 year old foster daughter) and Nhlanhla (who is nine, and actually Buhle's brother, but they're trying to adopt him since their mother has passed away). Adoption is generally frowned upon in Zim, but seems much more accepted here. Fostering/adopting is a lifelong commitment, but man, it seems to make sense in terms of what really makes a difference. I admire Stacey & Buhle so much. I can't believe we're the same age and they have 3 kids (including a teenager!) Stacey & Buhle have really spoiled me since being here. We've had oreos and hot chocolate, and also went to McDonalds yesterday. I put all reservations about large multinational corporations aside and totally enjoyed my McNuggets. I also felt totally overwhelmed in the grocery store. There is just so much food and so much variety here - it seems hard to believe it's a neighbouring country to Zim. I almost fainted in the chocolate aisle. I also caught myself worrying that we were driving for too long, and that we were going to run out of petrol and be stuck. I realized, however, that no, in this country (like in most countries!) you can be fairly sure that if you go to a petrol station, they'll actually have petrol!

This morning we went to South Rand Community Church. I was so blessed. I love God, and worshipping Him is when I feel most "at home." I think worshipping God and loving people are the reasons I was put on this earth. South Rand reminded me a lot of our home church in Regent Park (614) - in its multiculturalism and worship and mix of people. I love our corps in Harare, but I must admit that it was nice to sing and hear a sermon in English. I got introduced as being from Zimbabwe, and after service a whole group of Zimbabweans came over and said how nice it was to see someone from home. That felt cool. I still can't really believe I'm here. God is good. Unfortunately, John didn't come to South Africa - he's back in Zim at the national music school.

1 comment:

sixonefour said...

Rochelle - Jesus in you rocks sister. I am so encouraged, I can't even tell ya.
Heather