Sunday, August 13, 2006

'A' Band & 112%

I arrived home from South Africa last night. I spent a really amazing week with youth leaders from around Africa. I was so blessed to be with this group. Most of them are working with orphans and vulnerable children in their countries. They were coming together to write theses about their experiences, and I got to be a mentor. That part was cool in itself, because I felt like I was actually contributing, and was so touched to see how proud the students became of their work. It was awesome. I was exposed to new ideas (such as community counselling), and my heart was just really blessed to be surrounded by a great group of people committed to hope for their continent. Of course, it didn't do much to help my travel bug. There are just so many places in Africa I want to visit! Oh, and I saw the General. He accepted my salute.

A nice surprise when we got home was our 112% raise. Now that's got to tell you something about the quality of our work performance. Honestly - do you know of anyone else who has ever received this type of increase? It almost makes up for not being millionaires any longer. We're slowly getting used to the new currency.

John spent the week at National Music Camp. He thought he was going to support "technically" and maybe teach some poetry/creative arts electives. When he got there, he was appointed 'A' band leader, and had to lead the band workshops. Dad McAlister - feel proud of your son - he's totally carrying The Salvation Army brass banding torch!! Hopefully we'll get some pictures up soon. Speaking of pictures, all of the students wanted to get their photos taken with John. He's such a superstar! He asked me to bring a Big Mac home from S.Africa, but I just wasn't sure how well it would travel...

No comments: