Friday, August 25, 2006

African Haircuts & Tom Thumb

Yesterday I got my hair cut. I had walked into the "Family Hair Salon" on Tuesday and asked if it was possible for me to get my hair cut there. The receptionist looked me up and down and then asked all of the girls if anyone was willing to take me (white hair can be a bit tricky). Thankfully Denizer said yes, and told me to come back yesterday. Now, I wasn't getting any fancy braiding or extensions or even a weave - I just wanted a simple cut, and yet I was the talk of the place. Denizer tried tying up my hair in elastic bands, but it kept falling out, so someone was assigned just to hold my hair in place while Denizer cut. And there were lots of curious onlookers ("look - it's just like a wig!" "are you sure you're not cutting too much?" "her hair is sticking to my hands!") She did a good job, and it was an adventure.

Last night Confidence came over with a gift for me - a storybook of "Little Tom Thumb." She explained, "I know you like to read." It was so sweet!

And congrats to Kirsten and the "Holy Session" who are graduating today. Magona (well done)!

No comments: