Saturday, July 22, 2006

Who Are My People?

We are asked for money all of the time here. John was commenting last night that between us, I am the tough one. He finds it almost impossible to barter with the market ladies, and when I am not around, he gives to people a lot more. I decided to reflect on this "tough" reputation of mine. I realized that I have become used to saying "sorry" to street people in Toronto. Rather than part with loose change, I would usually give homeless people a smile, sometimes some food, and a referral to one of the hundreds of charity and church organizations in the city. If they choose to, homeless people in Toronto can have 3 meals a day and a roof over their heads at night. Of course it's not ideal, but people can have their basic needs taken care of. Not so here. There is no welfare system. I haven't heard of any food banks. When we see listless mothers with small children begging on streetcorners, I'm not sure where their help will come from. So, what's our responsibility?

In Zimbabwe (and I'm guessing, in Africa), your life is not your own. Individualism is a foreign concept. You share your time, your money, your food, your home, your beds, your everything with others - without question - as long as they are your people. Your people can be members of your family, or your totem, or sometimes your workplace/church. I've been really challenged by this idea. And it's got me thinking - who are my people here? Of course we can't help everyone, but who are we supposed to help? There's a passage in Matthew that says we should give to everyone in need who asks us. Do you suppose Jesus was exaggerating at that point? I've always been of the opinion that a lot of marginalized people need love, attention, a listening ear, etc. much more than money. But what about when they do need money - just to feed their kids and stay alive? Then, what's my responsibility as a fellow human being who, only by the extremely mysterious grace of God was born in North America, and who has access to finances, and who is a follower of Jesus?

1 comment:

Grace C said...

hi john & rochelle,
it's grace from UofT/ your squad from years ago (the ogden squad!:). i've been keeping up with your blog with much interest... and i'll try to comment more from now on instead of just "lurking" :)

thank you for daring to ask the tough questions. i really admire the courage you have to face and wrestle with them. it's a lot easier to just shut our minds and hearts down and become callous and jaded. may God keep us from that!