Friday, July 14, 2006

Healing

I was visiting with some friends last night, and they were asking me
about healing. They had seen a commercial on t.v. for a faith healer
who is in Zim from Canada, and they thought I might know him (being
the small country Canada is!) We don't have a t.v., so I wasn't aware
that there are so many broadcasts of faith healing on television here.
They were comparing the various healers for me ("when Chris heals, the
people always fall down first, and then they're healed. Jeremiah's
good and he heals people of blindness and deafness, but Edwin can even
heal people who have never walked.") So, they were asking me what I
thought.

I felt nervous. I am a bit skeptical by nature, but I also really
respect people's faith, and would never want to hinder it. I said that
I truly believe that this type of instantaneous healing is possible.
Jesus did it and said his followers would do similar things. I also
said that there is some controversy around this type of healing.
People always ask, for example, why these healers don't make a trip to
the children's hospital instead of just having the huge campaigns. I
also said that I worry for people who don't get healed. It is blamed
on them for not having enough faith, but this kind of guilt can be
really painful for people who are already suffering. My friend
responded with, "oh but I would have enough faith. I believe in God
very much, and I have been suffering a lot, so I know that if I went,
God would heal me." Of course, I would never want to hinder that
faith. I hope He does heal her - but what if He doesn't?

I do believe that God can heal people. I pray for healing for people
all the time. I guess I just always assume He will do it all on His
own, or through some sort of medical process or something (rather than
a firm push on the head). Maybe that makes my faith weaker; I'm not
sure. What would you have said?

4 comments:

Agent of Renewal said...

You were honest - true to your convictions, sensitive to the other person.

God is good, faithful and dangerous/unmanageable. He can do more than we can imagine, ask or think. Sometimes he doesn't.

Sometimes the miracle is the way people shine through their hurt, malady.

I keep praying even if prayer are not answered the way I want, I can keep praying for healing, even if is not immediately evident. We can do these things regardless of outcome, because Jesus asks us to.

Deep subject. Deeper God. Grace to you!

dad

Christina said...

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God— even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved." - 1 Cor. 10:31-33

The most important healing happens in the heart. That's what you are being sensitive to, Rochelle. We are only in our earthly bodies for a short time, but what we say can impact people for an eternity.

Keep being sensitive to God's Spirit. He will continue to give the right things to say.

Anonymous said...

You were right on to say 1) God can heal and 2) God does heal. But my patron saint Doubting Thomas tells me to reserve judgment on individuals and instances until I know more (Thomas gets a bad rap - he only doubted other disciples; when he saw Jesus he fell at his feet).

Many years ago two of my students in Grade Ten at Woodstock School in Indiawere diagnosed with leukemia at the same time. Both were prayed for in faith by their respective parents. One set of parents rejoiced that God had already healed their daughter and told everyone. The other parents prayed, "Not our will, but yours be done". Both girls died. The parents who assumed their daughter was healed lost their faith and left their mission. The other family served faithfully until their recent retirement. How we respond to God is sometimes more important than what God does.

I identify completely with "dad"'s comments.

MPrep Mo

Omoolorun said...

I do agree with the skeptical philosophy of leaving things in God's hands, "not my will, but yours be done." I do however wonder sometimes about the prayers of protest that abound in the Old Testament. Wouldn't we be more like the children before God if we throw tantrums atimes?

I grew up around miracles and prophecies being fulfilled, but today i doubt some of those miracles, not because of the incidents themselves but rather the resultant effect of such incidents. Like the other couple who left the church, i have seen so many people really lose 'faith' (loving others and God) because of the 'power to heal' which they possess.

I think i agree with James Forbes (Senior Pastor at Riverside church in New York) who said, "God does not will everything, but wills good in everything."

Gabe