Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Sister Sister Day

When we were younger, Kirsten and I used to have "Sister Sister Days." This usually involved me (the older sister) convincing Kirsten to do things I didn't want to do alone - like ride our bikes to the library so I could sign out 12 books (the maximum limit - always have been a bit of a geek). Sometimes it would also involve business activities (like when I would charge her for makeovers), or educational activities (like when I would make her write a letters to our prime minister about pressing social issues, and then read them aloud using good public speaking techniques - as I said before - always have been a bit of a geek!)

Well, my sister and I are now continents apart, but I feel kind of like I had a Sister Sister Day today, because at lunch John and I went to the National Art Gallery to take in a photographic display. The photos were great, and I had one of those "wow, I'm not just dreaming of Africa - I actually live here!" moments. It also reminded me of my sister - who is an amazing photographer. And then I got to talk to her on the phone for the first time since we've been in Zim, and that was really nice.

My sister left the hallowed halls of McGill university to spend the last year in the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver, fighting for justice, loving her neighbours, and praying her heart out. I'm proud of you, Kirst. Happy Sister Sister Day!

1 comment:

KiR said...

Love you, Rochelle!
I can't check my email that often but Steve Court called me up to read this to me.
You are a blessing in my life.