Sunday, July 09, 2006

Conversations in Zim

Three conversations from the past week:

"My children were sent home from their (boarding) school this week. They were sent back because we hadn't paid the full amount for school fees. I felt so ashamed. We had told the school that we just needed a bit more time. The fees went up so much this past term. We pleaded with them, and they were allowed to go back on Thursday. My daughter asked if she could have some money for groceries. I gave her all I had. So, now I'm just waiting for the 15th when we'll get paid again. It's hard to not have money for your children, when you just want them to have an education. But we keep on praying..."

"I'm studying Information Technology. I really like it, although it would be easier if I had my own computer. That's my dream - to have my own computer someday."

"These are my children - their names mean "Blessing" and "We thank you God." They are the blessings in my life. When they get older, this one will be a pilot, and this one will be a business manager. And then our family will be happy. Right now we live in a one room shack, but not forever! I think I will only have to wait another 20 years, and then I will be able to live in a real house. That will be great!"

No comments: