Tuesday, July 25, 2006

White

On Saturday some boys were flipping through a "You" magazine that one of my neighbours leant to me (because she said even in Africa it's important to keep up on celebrity news). As they were turning the pages, each time they would come to a photo of a beautiful supermodel they would point and say, "that's Rochelle!" Of course, there are 3 explanations for this. 1. they were flirting (but trust me, they were too young, and are still in the girls-have-germs stage). 2. All white people look the same. Or 3. I've missed my calling as a supermodel.

On Sunday I was chatting with a group of kids who had just been on a trip to Heroes' Acres. They were all so excited to tell me about their trip, and there got to be quite a crowd of kids. At one point little Glenda started pushing them away, saying (in Shona), "Give the white lady some space. We don't want to get her skin dirty!"

On Sunday I also found out about "white jokes." My friend explained, "white jokes are jokes that aren't really funny at all, but white people laugh anyway."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL, your blog seems interesting. I'd roll with the saying "Live in Africa, love Africa."

Heather Princess said...

Hmmmm...maybe you HAVE missed your call as a supermodel! Miss you guys and pray for you often!

Leslie said...

That is so funny. Reminded me of when I was living in Bermuda and some made the comment to me that all white people looked the same (?) I find that very interesting to note among different cultures/colours.

Sounds like you two are having an incredible experience. I'm glad for it.

Natalie Jill said...

Ih ad a similar experience in the DR... A little guy found a photo of a supermodel and thought it was me. He held is to his chest and hugged it.