Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Teeth, sex appeal and 3 way translation

I've had braces on my teeth 3 times. The first time, I got them from our family dentist. He was taking orthodontics at night school and so said he would give my family a really good deal on braces because he was just learning. When the braces came off, my teeth were straight, he was happy, and there was no follow up. So they went crooked again. A few years later, we were trying to decide if I should get braces again. We consulted my grandfather who asked me to smile for him. I did and he responded, "well no one's going to marry her with teeth like that." Then he gave his Papa chuckle (I miss him...) and it was settled. I got new braces. Later, when we moved back to Toronto from Montreal, I got a new orthodontist, who said that he could not work with the Quebecois braces I had, and so those had to be stripped off to give me good Ontario braces (the English can be so bourgeois!) Anyway, I was thinking about this story about my Papa because yesterday we had a situation with our daughter.

We adopted a cadet - Esther - and she is a very sweet, kind, compassionate girl. She complained of a tooth-ache, so we gave her some money to go to the dentist. The tooth was extracted and there was more bad news - 7 more teeth need to be pulled. Cadets (people training to be Salvation Army pastors) in Zimbabwe receive no medical coverage, so basically you can get treatment if you have money. 7 more teeth seems a bit drastic (and trust me, I felt guilty for bringing cookies AND candy to parent visitation day!) so I asked one of the teacher-officers if there was any other option. "Well, yes, she could get them filled, but it's $120 million per tooth and that's too much." We're looking at about $50US. Obviously we do not want our (as yet unmarried!) daughter to lose all of her teeth, but kids are expensive when you make $2US/month! Anyone want to help?

Not having medical insurance/coverage is just horrible. It gives you a pit in the stomach. Of course I've been spoiled as a Canadian in this respect. It's just a horrible feeling knowing that you need treatment and wondering how on earth you're going to come up with the money. Actually, this reminds me of another story of when I was working with immigrants and refugees in Toronto. One day an elderly Turkish woman in the level 2 English class fell and landed on her middle finger. The finger was at a 90 degree angle backwards. She wasn't in pain, but it looked awful. She was also brand new to the class, so could only greet people in English. Thankfully there was another man in the level 4 class who was Turkish but spoke French. The 3 of us went to the nearby hospital. After waiting around emergency, we ran into a kind, young doctor in the hallway. It was a 3 way translation - he talked to me in English, I talked to George in French and George talked to the elderly woman in Turkish - and then back the other way. As you can imagine, simple question and answer took a while. The lady (I'm forgetting her name... too many Zimbabwean names in my head!) did not have medical insurance because she was so new to the country. The doctor looked left and right and said to me, "if you want, I can probably just pop it back into place right here. It will hurt, but I could do it and not tell anyone." I translated to George, and he translated to the lady (but I learned after that he left out the part about the pain!) So the doctor grabbed the woman's hand, pushed really hard, and bam - back in place. No medical insurance required!

3 comments:

Renee said...

I was wondering if you could tell me what type of people in Zimbabwe have access to the internet? Eager learner from Michigan

Johnny said...

Renee,

In the urban centres, such as Harare, Bulawayo and Mutare, it's possible to have internet access at work, school or home, and there are a few internet cafes as well. The connection speed is very slow, but it works.

Renee said...

Thank you again, I'm very excited about the presentation I'll be giving next week for my International Marketing class. It is about marketing a product in Zim. I understand that this would be hard, which I will prove in my Marketing plan. I would like to send a care package if there is a way that I could get that kind of info from you. After reading everything about Zim, I'm inspired to help. I feel as if I was brought to this topic for a reason. The help may not be much, but I know a little can go along way. Let me know if this can be arranged: raurand1@comcast.net
Thanks Renee