Tuesday, March 11, 2008

30

I am 30! I have hit the big 3-0. I can't believe it. I am unbelievably thankful for my life, and God's grace through every day of it. I had a bit of a panic a few weeks ago when I thought about being 30. 30 is so grown up. Am I grown up enough to be 30? I don't have any kids, I don't have a career or a real salary, I don't own a car or house or any property (except for a lot of books!)... but then I started to think about my life, and realized that I'm right where I want to be. I have an awesome marriage, I'm living out the biggest dream of my life (living in Africa and sharing joys and sorrows with people here), I have amazing family and friendships, I have traveled to over 20 countries (places as different as northern Uganda and Chechnya, Tokyo and Rome). I have had some amazing life experience and met some incredible people.

I must admit that the twenties were good though. I met John when I was 20. The first time I saw him at band practice I thought he was so handsome. It's been an awesome decade of falling in love, getting married (happiest day of my life) and then just sharing our life together. I also first came to Africa when I was 20. Of course I had dreamed of Africa and fallen in love with it before that, but 20 is when I first set my feet on African soil. I volunteered in Soweto for 3 months, came back at 22 to volunteer at Mountainview Hospital in KwaZulu Natal for 2 months, and then at 28 moved to Zimbabwe. I know a part of my mind and heart will always be in this continent. Some of the closest people in my life I met in my twenties. I sang with UTGC and first went to Regent Park and 614 in my twenties. The twenties were great. And now we'll see what the thirties have in store...

No comments: