Monday, March 10, 2008

Conversations in the south

John had a busy weekend running, doing strategic planning in Mt. Darwin and then attending a long welcome service for the new T.C. Again, it's amazing that people can come up with billions for gifts when there is so much economic hardship! Sometimes I feel like I'm in a Robinhood-backwards movie. I spent the weekend in the south of the country, and it was great. Bulawayo has such a different feel than Harare - more relaxed and free. To be honest, I like Zimbabwe a lot, but I could take or leave Harare (although there is a pizza place - I can't knock St. Elmo's). We have a new neighbour moving here from Australia today. I wonder what she'll think... Anyway, I went down south to meet with some potential donors who are interested in The Salvation Army's HIV/AIDS response and Masiye Camp in particular. Masiye is doing *awesome* work and it's set in the beautiful Matopos. If you have not yet been, consider it. Check 'em out - www.masiye.com

The weekend was also full of very interesting conversations. I'm a social worker, and I like to listen to people's stories, so I was treated to a feast of them. There were lots of thought-provoking conversations about aid/donors, corruption, the temptation to steal money or food, etc. I had a fascinating conversation about politics with 2 grade 7 boys as we dipped our feet in the cool water of the dam. There was a conversation with a man who told me about how he used to be a poacher in the national parks - having struck up a business deal with a police officer (who was supposed to be the one safeguarding the park!s) He says elephant is quite good, and lasts a long time because of its size. He seemed like a good guy, but poaching???... There was this other conversation with two women who are self-acclaimed "SRB" (strong rural background) who gave me detailed information on how best to kill various animals - and precautions to take if you're doing this while heavily pregnant (I guess this information could be useful in future?!?) There were conversations about the liberation struggle and the terror people went through. There were conversations about the farm invasions and land reform. There was a conversation with a Zimbabwean man who went to a small town in Kentucky for school and how he found the adjustment. One lady poured out her heart to me about how her husband cheated on her and left her. She works for a church, and the church has since called off all benefits (such as paying for school fees for her 2 kids) and taken away her pastor's status. Doesn't seem very Christ-like to me... And then there were the two kids who were having a blast trying out every English word they knew on me and laughing like crazy when I would respond in Shona. I love people - and getting a glimpse into their world.

Today is my last day in my twenties. I can't believe it...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh...good ole Camp Masiye...
Wandering blindfolded through the bush...making our way through strange fields in the middle of the night... The sound of cowbells still give me nightmares.
Good times.