Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Communication fun

Our new friend Elizabeth arrived in Zimbabwe last Monday. She is a Salvation Army officer from Australia and she is working with us here at THQ. It has been interesting to journey with her this week, and see Zimbabwe, The Salvation Army, our neighbourhood and our workplace with her "new" eyes. I've especially re-noticed the pace of work here. I had great expectations when I came in terms of what I could get done in a day, and that slowly but surely diminished. Because making a phone call or printing a letter or photocopying a document are not easy tasks in Zimbabwe.

I had to laugh to myself (but not in a mean way) when someone was trying to teach Elizabeth the morning greetings - "mamuka sei?" (which means "did you wake well?") She was repeating back, "mamuka" and the ladies would say, "mamuka SEI, mamuka SEI." But sei is prounounced like "say" so Elizabeth must have thought they kept repeating "SAY mamuka" which she was... Ah, communication is fun. This reminded me of when I organized a trip for exchange students from Thailand. One of the girls was named "Hai." She had a hard time introducing herself to her host family because they said, "hi, what's your name?" and she responded "Hai." A little slower and louder, "hi, good to meet you but what's your name?" "Hai." "Hi. WHAT IS YOUR NAME?" I had to watch from a distance for a while and then eventually intervene and explain that the girl's name was Hai and she actually spoke English quite well - no need to yell! Or there was the time my mom and I went canvassing for Salvation Army. We were at a Chinese family's door requesting funds. The lady said to us, "Will you come in?" which we thought was quite kind - much better than a door slam or "sorry." She repeated "Will you come in?" so I made for the door and then she yelled, "WILL YOU COME IN?" It turns out their dog was named "Will Yu." :)

No comments: