Friday, March 07, 2008

Half-marathons and women

Ohmygosh I just looked at the route map for my first half-marathon which I'm going to be running in 2 weeks in CapeTown. Yikes! I'm flipping out. Keep in mind that this is not John-McAlister-insane-runner-who-can-do-anything-a-marathon-is-an-easy-jog typing. This is me - Rochelle McAlister, who only got chosen for sports teams in school because I'm good at making friends, not because I have an ounce of athlete in me. Rochelle McAlister - who used to only run to try to catch the bus! Yesterday we ran 10km in the morning as the sun was coming up and then 12km after work as the sun was coming down. And it was hard. But that wasn't even including hills and involved quite a work-day-long break in the middle. What am I doing??!!??

Happy Women's Day for tomorrow. A big shout out to all of the brave, courageous, faithful, endlessly hopeful women in Zimbabwe and other parts of the world. I am so thankful for the way Zimbabwean women are teaching me to be a better person. Another shout out to the many other women in my life who I love a lot and who have have had a big impact on my life. Sisters, I'm proud to be one of you!

1 comment:

jsi said...

You are going to do terrific! Keep going, 1 km at a time.