Thursday, March 13, 2008

Birthday Bash

Last night I had my 30th birthday party. It was awesome. John planned it, and it was just as I had dreamed. He cooked up a beautiful meal that totally impressed me. Of course he's my favourite chef, but he amazes me here because Zimbabwe is still "food-challenged" (so politically correct!), and yet he comes up with these beautiful, colourful, healthy, tasty treats. And we had an impressive guest list. It was a family affair, so my Zimbabwean mother (Amai Pamacheche) and sister (Crystal) came, as well as my grandmother (Gogo). My other mother (Alice) was sick, so we went to her house at the end to cut and share the cake. Her husband (Mac) came, as well as John's mother (Amai Mhasvi) and our new friend Elizabeth from Australia. The crowd was random, and not your typical "joining the 30s" bash, but it was so fun and I loved it. The power even came on at the end of dinner so we could see the beautifully made cake. Fine, I confess, I ate some leftover icing for breakfast. I know that's gross... sorry. I got some great gifts too - some toilet paper, soap and bananas. God is good. The party was very... us. We love mixing with different people and bringing people together who would not normally come together. Most people in the world generally only hang out with people that are just like them - in terms of age or interest or religion or culture or even looks. But when you do that, you really miss out! And of course the good food. Ever since I've been married I've had this suspicion that people only want to come to my birthday parties because John will be cooking... It was an awesome birthday. I was serenaded by my husband, my grandparents, my brother and sister-in-law and my mom and her conference group in Washington. I got touching emails from family and friends and a some touching cards and greetings from friends here. The 30s are looking alright... :)

2 comments:

jsi said...

Happy Birthday
It sounds like a fabulous celebration!

Renee said...

It's good to hear that you had a blessed birthday. I wanted to thank you both for having such a great blog spot. I gathered a lot of good info for my presentation on Zimbabwe and it was A success. I'm still interested in sending something to you or anyone there that you feel would benefit most. I left my email in one of the other blogs if you would be interested in contacting me. Thanks, Friend from Michigan..