Friday, June 15, 2007

Bits & Pieces

We leave for South Africa today. John's running the (insane) 89km Comrades ultramarathon on Sunday. Unfortunately, he's quite sick, so please pray for his health. I'm guessing that running 89kms is not particularly fun when you're sick. Actually, I'm still trying to figure out what's fun about running all day in the first place...

Please also keep praying for Capt. Pamacheche. He's still in the hospital, awaiting results of some tests. I was talking with his wife last night. She is a remarkable woman. She said that she wakes up each night to pray for him from 12 - 2am. Then she's up at 4:30am to wash and iron pyjamas, so that he has a fresh pair every day. I admire her - that's love.

I had toast this morning. It was quite lovely. See, our power goes off every day at 5:30am. This means that when I come home from my run, it's not possible to make toast. But today it was still on at 7:00am. Maybe the ZESA guy fell asleep at the switch, I'm not sure. But it was a nice treat.

My friend paid $1,000 for a match the other day. Due to the power shortages, people are cooking over fires and lighting candles more. Therefore the price of matches has risen dramatically. You know your economy's in a bad state when a single match costs $1,000!

This weekend our good friends Bram and Anita are being commissioned as Salvation Army officers. They've been in training college for 2 years, and they are moving to Drumheller, Alberta (famous for its dinosaur museum, I'm told) to be pastors. We're SO proud of Bram & Anita, and wish we were there to celebrate with them. It's a huge leap of faith to become an officer, and we admire and respect our friends.

Happy Fathers' Day (in advance) to my dad. Of course I'm biased, but I think I have the best dad in the world. He's got a quirky sense of humour that we all seem to have inherited. He's an encourager, he's fun, he appreciates the small things in life, he's friendly, he has integrity, he's true to himself, and he gives really good hugs. Dad - I love you, and I'm proud to be your daughter.

No comments: