Wednesday, June 06, 2007

War in northern Uganda

I've been interested in Africa's civil wars for a long time, and I've been praying for peace in Africa for as long as I can remember. For years, I have been praying for northern Uganda and writing letters with Amnesty International to important people who might be able to stop the 20 year-long conflict there. (I remember a couple of weeks after our church in Regent Park sent advocacy letters, someone asking me, "have we heard back from the president of Sudan yet?") In the summer of 2005, some of my friends started hearing about northern Uganda. The Gulu Walk phenomenon came to Toronto and raised some interest in the conflict. Torontonians like me, John, my dad and many others walked 12.5kms to get downtown and then sleep over, only to walk back the next day. This activity was aimed at raising awareness for "night commuters" - children in northern Uganda who were walking long distances into towns like Gulu to spend the night in what they hoped would be safety. For too long, children have been abducted from their homes, and taken into the bush to learn to be taught the art of warfare. Many were tortured. Some were forced to kill their family members or other children to ensure that they would be "owned" by the LRA (Lord's Resistance Army).

After years of praying and advocacy, it was quite incredible to actually arrive in Gulu; and to meet so many people there. Their stories enlarged my heart and gave me huge respect for people who have endured and survived by grace. I will write more on my experience later, but please join me in prayer - for real peace to be achieved at the peace talks; for physical, emotional and spiritual healing for all of the children who are trying to lead "normal" lives after their escape from the rebels; for those who are still in captivity...

2 comments:

fee said...

hope you guys are doing well. i hope you don't mind but i added a link to your blog from mine. thank you for keeping my eyes open in yet another way about how life really is for some in this world.

Heather Princess said...

Thanks Rochelle...I'm praying with you. Thank you for raising awareness.