Saturday, April 14, 2007

The Way of the Cross

I know it's late, but I still want to tell you about Easter. Easter Sunday morning we went to a sunrise service on the mountain. It was cool to watch the sun rise over the city and to think of the celebrations that were going to happen all over Africa and the rest of the world. I love Jesus.

Good Friday was very significant for me this year. We went to a service in CapeTown, and at one point we were challenged to try to identify with the suffering Christ. All of these images of friends in Zim started coming to mind - friends who are really struggling and suffering and crying out to God in faith. And then later we were asked, "are you ready to accept the way of the cross?" There was a big wooden cross at the front of the church. Near the end of the service I went and knelt underneath that cross. I wept and prayed and cried out to God on behalf of my Zimbabwean family and friends. Not many in the church had any idea who I was, so I'm sure there was some talk that I was either crazy or the world's biggest sinner come right off the street, but I couldn't help it. It was an amazing, humbling feeling to be literally kneeling underneath the cross. My heart was breaking and crying out, and I just kept asking God to give me strength and grace to follow the way of the cross with others. Living the way of the cross; sharing in people's pain and suffering and sorrow is difficult and painful and challenging. But that's what we're called to - in grace.

No comments: