Saturday, April 14, 2007

Cape Town

We arrived back in Harare this afternoon. We had an amazing vacation, but it's good to be back too. It was sort of like a mini retreat to Canada - malls, coins and real currency, chocolate, McDonalds... Two things I hadn't realized that I miss: English muffins and streetlights (they just make you feel so much safer!)

OK, Cape Town... I used to think it was the most beautiful place on the planet, but Rwanda has now superceded that title in my mind (sorry). But it's still gorgeous - like Chapman's Peak - wow (and I have to admit that I am in awe over my husband who RAN up those hills!!) I loved driving around and being next to the water. We stayed with friends - Merrilou and Gerard, and their adorable kids Jeremy and Emily. They were a little concerned about our weightloss in the last couple of months, so we got spoiled rotten. (I must admit that I did cry in the grocery store - it was ghetto, but I just couldn't believe how much food was in one place. I mean, there were rows and rows of cheeses and fruit juices and vegetables and breads, and you didn't have to fight for them or race to the cashier to get there before the price changed - all that food was just... there... waiting to be bought and eaten...)

My favourite moment was fish and chips on the beach (which reminded me of White Rock). I also enjoyed the top of Table Mountain (we took a revolving cable car up). Gooey cinnamon buns with hot chocolate was delicious. Watching John run 56km was pretty awesome. Our only regret was sharkdiving. We drove the 3 hours to get there, and then it was cancelled due to poor weather. Boo! I had totally psyched myself up for getting in a cage underwater and facing the great whites. Maybe next year...

No comments: