Thursday, April 12, 2007

Oreos in Joburg

Greetings from Joburg, South Africa. We're staying with our friends Stacey, Buhle, Bijou, Nhlanhla and Trinity, and having a great time! We went to McDonald's yesterday. I had Chicken McNuggets, and John went for a BigMac meal. When he finished, he had a certain gleam in his eyes, so I said, "go for it" and he went back for a second Big Mac! We're being spoiled! Oreos, Mars bars, milk... you name it!

Today we went to the apartheid museum. At the beginning we were issued two cards - "white" and "non-white" so we had to use separate entrances. It was fascinating to go through the history, and to see how far South Africa has come in 17 years. I spent some time in the solitary confinement room. I don't think I could do it. I think I'd go crazy.... you've got to respect Mandela - 27 years of imprisonment, and yet coming out full of grace and forgiveness. It was also just wonderful to think of what change is possible when youth or women or just people come together, stand enough and fight for justice.

Last night we went to the movies. James jokingly asked us recently if Ghostbusters 2 had come out in Zim yet, and it's true that we do get movies very late, so we decided to go see some new movies while we were here. John and Buhle saw "300" and Stacey and I saw "Pursuit of Happyness." What a beautiful movie. I was touched, and humbled, and just determined to be determined. John always says that people are capable of anything if they work at it.

I have so much to tell you about CapeTown, but I'll wait for another post. I WILL tell you that John was AMAZING in the Two Oceans marathon - 56km in just over 5 hours. He's a star.

No comments: