Sunday, April 01, 2007

Mountains in Murehwa

We had such a good time in Murehwa last week. It's such a cool experience for me to be with all of these young, vibrant youth leaders. They are passionate about learning and sharing and becoming good, godly leaders. As a person committed to justice, I have wondered a lot in this past year what justice looks like for me here. In the current political environment, I think that being involved in training up good, unselfish leaders is probably one of the best things I can do. And it feels like such an honour to share this journey with them. Thanks to all of you who are supporting the Zimbabwe School of Youth Leadership in prayer.

Most of Monday and Tuesday I was marking students' assignments (they're all taking a distance-education course I wrote) and then holding individual interviews with them.

Wednesday we spent the afternoon visiting people in their huts. I was impressed with how immaculately clean each hut was - when we were arriving for a surprise visit. I was also blessed by their generosity. We got 3 heaping bags of ground nuts to bring back. People sometimes boil and sometimes roast these peanuts. My friend Esther really blessed me on these visits. When we visited one woman who had had a stroke, she immediately started to wash this lady's pots and pans. The lady was so happy. She explained that all of her children have died, and so she has no one to help her. My friend's humility and heart of Jesus blessed the lady - and me.

Thursday we went to the shops for an open-air. The students had tried to think creatively about different ways they could draw a crowd. It turned out to be a bit unnecessary. All they needed was me! I don't think they get a lot of whites in Murehwa. I asked someone, and he was like, "no, there aren't any murungus in this area, but did have two Chinese exchange students at the hospital a while back!" Someone asked my friend how much she would sell me for. Thankfully she said I wasn't for sale!

Friday night we had an all-night of prayer at the church. I'm used to going to bed at 9pm in Zim, and so it was a test of will (or God's grace!) to START the all night of prayer at 9. At our old corps/church in Canada, when we had all nights of prayer, people would come up with all of sorts of creative ways of praying and keeping us awake. Here, it was basically an 8 hour church service. In my sleepy state, I found it challenging to focus on the 8 Shona sermons, but the singing and dancing were amazing. And I am always blessed and challenged to hear people literally crying out to God for daily bread and school fees and a stop to our crazy inflation.

Friday afternoon a few of us climbed a mountain in Murehwa. I love literally being on top of a mountain. It is a glorious, wonderful feeling to have that kind of perspective on the world. I also love spiritual mountain-top experiences - when I feel close to God and have a good, mature perspective on life ("the bigger picture"). Challenges make us stronger. Tough times make us grow and become more beautiful people. All of my "natural" self wants to avoid pain and suffering at all costs, but when I'm on top of the mountain, I can really see how God uses challenges and pain in my life to make me more like Him. God is good.

No comments: