Monday, April 14, 2008

Leadership, guitar serenades and cheerios

Today the Zimbabwe School of Youth Leadership 2008 met to head to Bindura for a week. We're going to meet them tomorrow after a board meeting. Before they left Harare, they were given a speech about leadership where the main point was that you can tell a lot about a leader by the way they dress; by the way they style their hair. And here I thought I could be a good leader... with my bad hair life, I'm doomed! John and I have to wear Salvation Army uniform to work every day now. Maybe this new look will help us look more like leaders...

The other night I was just frustrated; up to my ears in protocol. I went to go visit a friend, and she wasn't home. On the way back I watched some young guys playing soccer (football). It was good for my soul to watch these young guys - not worrying about the 80% unemployment rate, not worrying about the low life expectancy (37 for men), not worrying about the potential crisis in the country. Just laughing and playing soccer in barefeet. Then just as I was on the path home, I ran into a guy with a guitar (quite a rare sight here). He asked me if he could sing me a song and then sang a very out-of-tune "let it be." It made my day.

Friday night we took some friends out for dinner. We went to a Thai restaurant, but our friends ordered chicken and chips. We knew this would happen. Zimbabweans don't seem to like a lot of variety. If you're home - sadza, green vegetables and beef (if you can afford the beef). If you're out, or it's a special occasion - chicken and rice/chips. I had pad thai with chopsticks and our friends were absolutely fascinated. I guess having the same thing all the time gives some comfort in an uncertain environment. Same songs at church. Same food every day. Same uniform for everyone. I'm still young enough to desire change, difference, diversity, different strokes for different folks. But I also understand how scary change can be for others. And to be honest, if I could, I would have the same breakfast every day (cheerios with 2% milk, tropicana orange juice and a toasted bagel with butter or cream cheese). However, none of those items are available in Harare...

1 comment:

Max Vincent said...

Missing your blog this week.