Monday, April 07, 2008

Birthdays

Happy Birthday to my brother Josh! Josh is the last born in our family, and 6 years younger than me. I have clear memories of him being born and being an adorable (yet stubborn) little kid. Lots of memories... family plays, Josh always asking me to race him - sure that he could beat me even though my legs were twice as long, bowties, lots of laughs, tantrums on mini-golf courses, heart-to-hearts, having a bad day and Josh coming to comfort me with a heart on a key chain, New Years... Josh is a good brother, a talented singer/song-writer, a kind, gentle-spirited person, and totally hilarious. I love you, Joshua - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

It was Lionel's birthday on Friday. He turned 54. Lionel is a white guy, very thin, a chain-smoker who has lived at the men's shelter on our compound for 20 years. He has some serious psychological problems, and says inappropriate things, so most people don't like to talk to him. Lionel participated on the wrong side of the liberation war, and he was really traumatized by his experience (although it also seems that they were his "glory days.") I've talked to him many times, and he just seems so sad; so alone in this world. All he has to live for is his 80 year old father. I hadn't talked to Lionel in months because every time I tried, he walked away/ignored me. Friday I saw him sitting in the corridor of the shelter, and remembered that it was his birthday. I went home, wrote a card, and put together a parcel (bread, chocolate, soap, etc.) Then I went over to him and wished him a Happy Birthday. He got very teary and just kept repeating, "I can't believe you remembered." He explained that his medication has been unavailable for months, so he's been going through tough times. He explained that he believes in Jesus, but it's the devil who is always near him; always talking to him. I prayed with him, made him laugh a bit, and just treated him like a human being. It was a beautiful moment. There's a lot of power in just remembering someone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart!

Fronie