Sunday, September 03, 2006

You Can Lick the Bowl at Birthday Parties

I just ate a boiled egg with 2 yokes in it. Strange!

Today is Mac's birthday, and he turned 69. After church (3 services today - and I preached at 2 of them!) my friend Debra and I went the shops, but they didn't have cake nor birthday candles ("what are birthday candles?") and so we bought some ice cream. I also lit one of the big candles we use when the power's out, and made a card with an enclosure. We sang "Happy Birthday" and Mac was thrilled! Alice only told me about his birthday yesterday, but she said that all day they have been waiting for me to come. They knew that I wouldn't forget - because I am their daughter. It was such a nice birthday party. We sang songs (including Christmas carols and a Scottish song - since Mac was born in Scotland), Mac reflected on his life, and we ate the ice cream. Gogo even licked the bowl - she said she hadn't had ice cream in 2 years. Mac said he couldn't even remember the last time he had ice cream. And then I prayed a prayer of blessing over Mac. Debra said it was the best birthday party she'd ever been to. I couldn't help thinking about the contrast to the wedding yesterday. Yesterday there were SO many people to celebrate and give money and wish the couple well and be there to support. Today, on his 69th birthday, Mac had 4 of us - and we were the only people in this world that celebrated with him. But he sure was happy! There really is something to the whole "love your neighbour" thing.

No comments: