Monday, September 11, 2006

Tatenda

My parents and brothers (and other family and friends) recently spent a week at Territorial Music School at Jackson's Point on Lake Simcoe. They met a girl named Tatenda (which means "we thank you," by the way. I'm re-starting Shona classes tonight!). Tatenda is studying in Lindsay, but is from Harare. They loved her (of course), and felt that "Zimbabwe connection" with us. Tatenda and I have since been e-mailing each other, and yesterday I met her dad at Congress. How cool is that? Another small world story. Her dad rocks at hosho and is a good dancer too (my kind of guy). As we were saying good-bye yesterday, he gave us some treat money for ice cream. Now THAT'S a dad who misses his daughter! We were truly blessed by his kindness. Tatenda - I'm looking forward to meeting you when you're home for Christmas!

P.S. Last night I was at a friend's house, and she was watching "The Bachelor" and asking me questions about dating practices in my culture. Oh dear. I just had to explain that my culture can be very, very strange.

No comments: