Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Forgiveness

Yesterday I participated in a very interesting conversation about forgiveness. Forgiveness is something I've thought about a lot, but rather than give my own thoughts at this time, I'll share a couple of the comments from yesterday:

"Forgiveness is a subject that is close to my heart. At one time I killed 5 people in one family. It was hard, but I knew that I had to go ask for forgiveness. So, I went to the family home, and was taken to the 5 graves. I asked the surviving kids for forgiveness, but they refused. I asked them if I could bring them anything or do anything for them. But they said that all they wanted was to see their parents again. It is very hard not to be forgiven." (I found out later that this happened in the context of the war, and that this man has been mentally tortured ever since this experience).

"I think it's hard to forgive when your husband takes on a second wife. I used to have a great life, and was well respected. Then my husband took on a new wife. Now, I live in a separate house with my children. I cannot forgive that second wife. She took everything from me. I still say "The Lord's prayer" but I can't say the part about forgiving others, because I won't forgive her."

No comments: