Tuesday, January 02, 2007

There is a reason

Two of our neighbours have died in the last few days. I will miss
Agnes. She was such a lively, bright woman. She called me "Rochelley"
and liked to share laughs. I had promised to have her over for dinner
in the new year. Too late... Last night I went to youth group. Isaiah
's theme was "2007." He was emphasizing the point that we have crossed
over from 2006 to 2007, and so there must be a reason for that. He
asked us to look around at each other and marvel that we all made it
to the new year. "Who knows how many of us will make it to 2008, but
right now we are alive, and that means that God has a reason for us
coming into 2007. There is a purpose." In North America, people - and
especially young people - think they're going to live forever. Here,
people are amazed and grateful if they make it through another year.
It's such a different worldview. But I'm learning a lot from it, and
last night it made me think - if I have been given the gift of being
alive in 2007, what is my purpose for this year?

No comments: