Sunday, January 21, 2007

I am used to.. but...

I am used to Zimbabwean names, but sometimes they still catch me off guard. Like today, I went to the installation of our new Divisional Commander. His first name is Funny. In Guruve I met a girl named Attitude, and heard about a family where the firstborn is Favourite, the second born is Average, and the lastborn is Finish. I am dead serious. Names are usually given according to the circumstances of the birth (so let your imaginations run wild for these names!)

I am used to long meetings with many offerings, but I still believe a good service doesn't need to go beyond 3 hours, and one offering is sufficient.

I am used to police roadblocks on the roads into Harare, but they still make me uneasy. It's strange to have police examine your bags and body search you. Saturday the policewoman who searched me was quite curious about my soapdish (which was also wrapped in a ziploc bag). But it really did only have soap in it.

I am used to sadza and we ate it every day in Guruve, but I can't eat a mountain of it like Zimbabweans do. I only take a small hill. By the way - we finished up our orientation with a big braai of all of the beast that was leftover. Oh, it was yummy!

1 comment:

KiR said...

Miss you Rochelle.
Lots of love,
You 'lil sis.