Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Some Lessons Learned

1. Look first. Yesterday I went for a walk to Harare Gardens. It's really lovely there, and I wanted to just sit in the shade and read a magazine. So, I found a nice bench, sat down and started reading. I felt a few ants here and there, but just tried to ignore them ("going with the flow" is one of my big new years' resolutions!) Eventually I had to look down. There was an anthill on the bench! I literally had ants EVERYWHERE in my pants. Yuck! Look first.

2. Ask first. At the farewell programme for the Z.S.Y.L. the Divisional Commander gave a few words. At one point he said, "we are so grateful that you chose to come to Guruve for your orientation. Many people have been scared to come here because of all of the malaria and cholera outbreaks, but you still came - thank you." Yep, didn't know about those outbreaks! Ask first.

3. Lunch after lunch. One interesting thing I've noticed about THQ (where we work) is that everyone has lunch after lunch! We have 1 hour and 15 minutes for lunch break. Everyone sits around and chats and does each other's hair, etc. Then when it's over, people bring out their lunches and eat them at their desks. Lunch after lunch. (Oh, by the way, related to another post - our new I.T. assistant at work is named Admire!)

4. It's good to be alive. I was thinking about this on my run this morning. I'm not an athlete like John, but as I was gasping for breath, I was thinking about how good it is to breathe. God is good, and it's good to be alive. Amen!

No comments: