Monday, January 29, 2007

Lindor, cockroaches and a farewell

Yesterday we were at the shops and we saw Lindor chocolate! We both love Lindor, and we've never seen it in this country before. Unfortunately, a package of 3 Lindor truffles would have cost us (at the official exchange rate) $75 US dollars!

This morning I was jogging, and saw a man on the side of the street with a big tank (it looked kind of like a helium tank). He stopped me and said, "I spray cockroaches." I said, "Excuse me?" He said, "I spray cockroaches - don't you have any in your home?" I said, "Actually we don't?" Then he pulled out a tiny thumbnail-sized piece of paper with is name and number on it, pleading, "please tell your friends. Some of them must have cockroaches." (I did ask him if he ever sprays dogs, but I was joking). Everyone in Zimbabwe has a business.

And we farewelled the Wards yesterday. Our fellow Canadians flew to Canada for a month with their family before moving to Chicago. We will miss them, but thankfully we have many other members in our big Zimbabwean family.

No comments: