Thursday, June 15, 2006

The purpose of life

Tuesday night I went to youth group at our new corps/church. It's a group of young people who come together to sing and pray and each week one of them leads a discussion on a topic. I just love it. Each week I get such a blessing and refreshing in my spirit from this group. This past Tuesday, Samuel was leading a discussion on purpose in life. He asked us "what do you want to be when you grow up?" (OK, so I'm a little old for the group, but I really like it!) Everyone answered, and then he asked, "What do you think God wants you to be?" It was fascinating to hear how almost everyone's answers didn't match up (between what they want to do and what they think God wants them to do). There was a guy who wants to be an authour, and yet feels God wants him to be a politician; a girl who wants to be a gynacologist but feels God wants her to be an accountant; a girl who wants to be an accountant, but feels God wants her be a nurse, a housemaid who feels God wants her to be a pastor, etc. Then Samuel pointed out to the group that Jesus was a carpenter, and yet his purpose in life was something much greater than his occupation; so the jobs we do are certainly not the be-all and end-all to life. And so he asked us to think about what our purpose in life is. A big question!

Samuel said something that I won't soon forget: "I refuse to believe that we are here on earth without a purpose. I refuse to believe that we are meant to be born, eat, work a lot and make money, and then die without leaving a trace. I refuse to believe it." He was so emphatic. I refuse to believe it too! There is a reason we are here - there is a purpose. Discovering that purpose gives such meaning to life.

In our van ride home from work the other day, one of our neighbours was saying it would be better if we were all animals. Because if we were animals, we could graze the land, and not have to worry about finding money for food, and then finding electricity to cook the food with. Everyone was just quiet; reflecting on whether this would be better. It was sobering. But I refuse to believe it. Life can be hard, but there is a reason we are here. Each morning I soak in the bathtub and pray and thank God that I have the chance to live here, and dedicate my day to God, and then re-dedicate my life to God. It makes a huge difference in my attitude, and makes little frustrations seem a lot less important.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's incredible!!! Me and a good friend were discussing Jobs in life and if that's really the most important thing, like the PURPOSE. This is a really different point though and really valid. Thanks. I love the diversity in people, so many viewpoints out there, it's so great!!!
Pepsi